It was commonly held in the 19th century that the coast of Prince Edward Island Lighthouse suffered from inadequate lighting. The East Point Light was completed in 1867 for an allotted 750 British Pounds by the PEI Legislative Assembly. Light keeper dwelling was built at the same time. The light was the 10th constructed on Prince Edward Island. The tower and keeper’s cottage were erected by William McDonald.