Alexander Beaton (1867-1897)
Alexander Beaton was the first Lighthouse keeper at East Point, having land there that was swapped for his job, a smart political move. A lighthouse keeper’s day was long, but he was rewarded with a good paying, pensionable job, and great job security. Alexander had been studying at a seminary in Montreal when he met and later married Clementine, a young woman studying in a convent. They left Montreal and moved to PEI, where locals said the two would never have children, cursed for having left the convent and seminary. Perhaps the curse was real, as the two never had a family of their own, instead raising a local girl who had been orphaned. He also served as postmaster until the post office was moved to the home of his cousin, James Angus.
Alex could be arrogant and haughty. He could also be witty. It has been said that while in Charlottetown he went to the government office dealing with lighthouses. An official there asked him, “Do you belong to East Point?” He replied, “No, East Point belongs to me!” Unperturbed the man continued, “Are you the keeper of the light?” He quickly replied, “No, the light keeps me”. His family, the Beaton’s, owned a great deal of East Point. Alex owned “The Point” itself. The lighthouse provided his source of income.
Stewart MacIntyre (1926-1960)
Lauchlan MacDonald takes over as keeper of the light in 1897. He serves in the position for 14 years until 1911 when he is succeeded by Angus MacIntyre.
Born 1844 in East Point to Lieutenant Col. (Big) Ronald and Catherine MacDonald, Lauchlan grew on the 600 acre MacDonald property better known as Prospect Hill with his 2 brothers and a sister. He married Teresa MacLean in 1876 and had 2 children of his own.
Lauchlan taught school for several years and farmed. He served in high positions for a number of organizations such as the Provincial Dairy Association, the Cheese Board of Trade for PEI, and the East Point Farmers Institute. In 1873 Lauchlan served in the Legislative Council. He was then elected to the Legislative Assembly in a by-election on December 16, 1875. Lauchlan was re-elected 1876 and 1879.
Lauchlan was invloved in many personal and business activities. Although he was a physically strong man he probably overextended himself. He was not a businessman. He may have run the cheese factory he managed at one time into the ground. He may even have been too frugal (even for a Scottish man) and too strict with his children. However, he did accomplish more in his lifetime than most other men. He was poor in money when he died but not in accomplishments. Teresa, he wife, died on March 19, 1916. He himself died in 1928 at the age of 84.
Angus MacIntyre (1912-1926)
Angus MacIntyre took over as lighthouse keeper in 1912 from Lauchlan MacDonald. He served for 14years as the keeper before passing it on to his son Stewart.
Stewart MacIntyre (1926-1960)
Stewart MacIntyre took over as keeper in 1926 from his father Angus. He served 30 years as the keeper.
Harry Harris (1961-1989)
Harry was a man of deep faith, who loved his family and his work, and who truly believed that where he lived and worked was heaven on earth. In summer he enjoyed cutting grass and maintaining the Light, as it allowed him to appreciate his surroundings. Not so much in winter, as the severe and unpredictable weather at East Point could move in fast, and being storm stayed for days was a real possibility.
Harry was well known in his community as a jack of all trades, and he had a talent for fixing almost anything that was broken. Neighbors were always welcome to drop by with a project, and Harry would love to take it apart, repair it like new, and would never accept a penny of payment. He took great pride in his work, and the East Point Light Station was in tip top shape when Harry Harris was on duty. The Harris family are direct descendents of survivors of the shipwreck “The Santo Domingo” which foundered off East Point in 1822. It seems obvious that the ocean played an important part in the Harris lineage then and now, as it continues today with members of the family active in careers in the fishing industry and in the Canadian Coast Guard.
East Point Lighthouse
404 Lighthouse Rd
Elmira, PE C0A1K0, Canada