Timeline

Lighthouse Timeline

Lighthouse Land Survey

January 18, 1866
Announcement Image

The land was donated by Alexander Beaton in exchange for a job as the first lighthouse keeper. Roderick Campbell was asked to survey the land in 1866 before construction of the lighthouse began.

 

Read more

East Point Lighthouse Constructed

January 11, 1867
Announcement Image

It was commonly held in the 19th century that the coast of Prince Edward Island Lighthouse suffered from inadequate lighting. The East Point Light was completed in 1867 for an allotted 750 British Pounds by the PEI Legislative Assembly. Light…

Read more

First Lighthouse Keeper

January 18, 1867
Announcement Image

Alexander Beaton was a farmer; he farmed his homestead on the south side of the Lighthouse road. He was the first lighthouse keeper at the East Point Lighthouse. This was a political appointment. The lighthouse was located on his farm. He also…

Read more

Wreck of the HMS Phoenix

September 12, 1882
Announcement Image

Although there have been countless shipwrecks at East point over the centuries, the wreck of the British warship “The Phoenix” is significant since it necessitated the move of the Lighthouse.

On September 12, 1882 the ship struck the reef…

Read more

Fog Alarm Building

February 1, 1885
Announcement Image

Fog Alarm building was constructed in 1885. It was a one story structure with a T-shaped plan. Foghorns sprouted from the hipped roof of the “leg” of the T. The foghorns were diaphones invented in Canada which produced a loud “blast” followed by…

Read more

Lighthouse Move

July 1, 1885
Announcement Image

The first move of the East Point Lighthouse occurred in the summer of 1885. It was done on weighs (used to move ships) with capstan and horses by Bernard Creamer in response to the wreck of the HMS Phoenix. The navigational charts had the…

Read more

Laughlan MacDonald

January 1, 1897
Announcement Image

Laughlan MacDonald takes over as keeper of the light in 1897. He serves in the position for 14 years until 1911 when he is succeeded by Angus MacIntyre.

Born 1844 in East Point to Lieutenant Col. (Big) Ronald and Catherine MacDonald,…

Read more

Telephones Introduced

February 1, 1907

Telephones were introduced to East Point in 1907. The first telephone office was in the home of Helen Stewart. The first telephones at East Point were at Lauchlan MacDonald’s and at Beatons.

Read more

Lighthouse Move

February 1, 1908

East Point Lighthouse was moved a second time. This time the move was to accommodate the expansion of the foghorn building and address possible erosion worries.

Read more

Angus MacIntyre

February 1, 1912

Angus MacIntyre took over as lighthouse keeper in 1912 from Lauchlan MacDonald. He served for 14years as the keeper before passing it on to his son Stewart.

Read more

Stewart MacIntyre

February 1, 1926
Announcement Image

Stewart MacIntyre took over as keeper in 1926 from his father Angus. He served 30 years as the keeper.

Read more

Harry Harris

February 1, 1961
Announcement Image
Harry was a man of deep faith, who loved his family and his work, and who truly believed that where he lived and worked was heaven on earth. In summer he enjoyed cutting grass and maintaining the Light, as it allowed him to appreciate his…
Read more

Electricity

February 1, 1970

Rural electrification came to the area in the early 1970’s. Around the same time area residents of East Point fought off an attempt to put in place a National Park at East Point.

Read more